Is DBS Therapy Right for You?
Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) Therapy for dystonia is not right for everyone. Only a doctor experienced with DBS can determine if you are a candidate.
DBS may be right for you if:
- You suffer from chronic dystonia
- You have been unable to successfully manage your motor symptoms with medication
- You suffer from primary dystonia, including generalised, segmental, hemidystonia, and cervical dystonia. Many doctors also consider patients with secondary dystonia for DBS based upon individual merits and patient goals.
- You are 7 years of age or older
If You Are a Candidate
If your doctor determines you are a candidate for DBS, you will need to make the final decision about whether or not to choose the treatment.
Here are some suggestions to help you decide whether DBS is right for you:
- Read personal stories or try to talk with people who have received DBS Therapy
- Make sure you’re comfortable with your doctor. He or she should be helpful, supportive, and ready to answer any questions you may have
- Carefully weigh the benefits and risks of the treatment
- Request information from your doctor
- Contact a relevant patient support group for information and advice
Before you meet with your doctor, think about what you hope to learn. Prepare questions, and be ready to provide information about your medical history.
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor.
Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.
Last updated: 22 Sep 2010