ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) and Neurologic Technologies Business Overview
Delivers innovative technologies and instrumentation used to treat people with diseases of the ear, nose and throat (ENT).
Provides superior products for the Cranial Neurosurgery market. These products include:
- A wide variety of silicone elastomer valves, catheters and shunts for hydrocephalus management. Hydrocephalus is a condition where patients have an excessive accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) within the ventricles of the brain. Treatment for hydrocephalus is carried out by implanting a shunt to drain the excess CSF from the brain to another area of the body, which helps to relieve the patient’s symptoms.
- Hydrocephalus can be a congenital condition (present from birth); or can develop as a result of trauma, a brain tumour, scar tissue formation, or meningitis.
- Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH) is a neurological condition that affects the elderly. It is characterized by a triad of symptoms – difficulty walking, poor bladder control, and mild dementia. NPH is a difficult-to-diagnose disease, since the symptoms often mimic those of other conditions among the elderly — Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Some patients experience a mild form of the symptoms, while others become more impaired as the condition progresses. NPH can also be treated with a shunt.
- External drainage products for the treatment of traumatic brain injury and invasive monitoring
- Neuroendoscopes for performing a variety intracranial procedures
- Cranial closure products for quick and secure reattachment of skull flaps
Medtronic Powered Surgical Solutions
A leading developer and supplier of systems that provide procedural solutions for high speed bone dissection.